Thursday 5 July 2007

Toy sale frenzy

Today marked yet another first in the life of a new mum - the July toy sales. After perusing the catalogues I was armed with my list and ready to face the crowds to get my piece of the sale pie. I thought I was prepared for what I was about to embark upon, but I don't think anything can prepare you for the bedlam I witnessed. Mothers with trolleys piled too high for safety, pushing through crowds of other mothers with their kids strewn all over the floor playing with the display toys. What a bad idea that is - display toys. I saw 8 year olds on toddler bikes whizzing past my knees, toddlers throwing tantrums with display toys in the hands because their mum couldn't fit another thing into their trolley...or perhaps she dared to utter those dispicable words "No you can't have it".

I could barely think and had to keep returning to my list and reminding myself that my trolley was still empty so I didn't turn and run out of the store. Amongst the screaming, laughing, playing and trolley conjestion I managed to pull it together enough to get most of what I needed. I had trouble finding lots of things until I realised they had scattered items throughout the store, not just in the toy area. After 1 hour I'd had enough and made my way to the register with my spoils of war. When the assistant asked me how I was I found myself blurting "I'm a bit freaked out actually". She looked at me, then at my placid, smiling 6 month old baby and said "You're first toy sale?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny Jules... reading that made me think of my first toy sale...I will never forget it!! Oh what an experience.

I too went armed with a list of what I wanted... that gorgeous fisher price train that you bought Sienna was top of the list.

I got there and couldn't find it anywhere... ended up asking an employee where I could find it.. saying I just have to have a toy train for my boy, and how in my opinion a train is just a must for all littlies toy boxes and how this one seemed like the best. I said some more things about the wonders of toys trains but it's been a while now so can't remember exactly what I said... but obviously what I said must have sounded appealing cause a mother that was standing nearby overhearing what I was saying actually ran ahead to beat me to find the trains when the employee told me where to find them. It was like she was a woman possessed! It actually made me laugh out loud. Funny thing was if there was only one left then I have no doubt that she would have grabbed it and left me standing there with my jaw agape as she waltzed off with it under her arm!

I'd never seen mothers get so crazed over toys!

Oh the joys of toy shopping! I'm at the stage now where I have to go alone cause Nooshie eyes nearly pop out of his head when we go to Toys 'r' Us.


Pip xoxoxo